Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Melody of Memories: School, Eric's Work, Outings, and Church


The administrator at my school was so gracious and allowed the girls to attend a class while I was teaching. On Mondays/Wednesdays, the girls sat in on one class, ate lunch, and then sat in on one more class (I only teach two classes on those days). The last day they would not go to class so they sat in on mine (as well as a class or two the first day or so they were here). On Tuesdays and Fridays I teach three classes and have a one-hour "planning period" in between, so Tuesdays were long for the girls. Eric is off on Fridays and one of the Fridays was a snow/ice day, so the girls did not have to attend a Friday class. The girl pictured on the right is one of my 10th grade students. She was adopted from Latvia a couple of years ago as a result of New Horizons for Children. She speaks Russian, so she was able to communicate with the girls, spend some time with them, and even share the gospel with them! I'm so thankful for her! Her mom is actually the teacher of the 2nd grade Tuesday class the girls attended. I loved picking the girls up from class and have them call out to me and jump in my arms for a hug! One the way to and from school I also played a Bible verse CD, and the girls caught on to the words so fast. I loved hearing them sing God's Word!

Several times on the way home from school I would take the girls to see Eric at church. The girls loved typing on his computer. Their laughter in the administrative part of the church was a joy. Eric had fun giving them a tour of the church and playing with them for a little while (or even sit in the car with us for a few minutes while the girls ate some ice cream). We had so many laughs during our "Let's go see Eric at church" visits.

Since I was "Mom" for a month, I had the opportunity to take the girls to get new shoes, have their teeth cleaned, get a hair cut, and all the other outings that moms do. Eric and I also took them to the store with us a few times. It's universal: Kids pointing to everything visible, asking if they can have it, and being told no.
We also had outings to the Fantasy in Lights show at Calaway Gardens and to events with New Horizons for Children.


The girls did NOT like having to attend church. They grumbled when told we were going there. At first they would not let go of me to go in their class. I even had to run and hide in the room next door, but they are smart girls and found me right away. On Wednesday nights at church they would not play games at AWANA or eat the Wednesday night meal. By the last time they were at church, they went to their class with no hesitation, ate the Wednesday night meal, and said they had fun at church. I loved seeing the girls make some friends at church and experience the fellowship of coming together with other Christians.

1 comment:

Tara said...

You did experience many "Mom" moments...from taxi driving and ice cream runs to hair cuts and dropping off hesitant children at church! What fun they look like they had...and you too!