Saturday, July 26, 2008

Perfect Peace

During my recent time with the Lord, I have been going through one of Beth Moore's Bible studies entitled Living Free: Learning to Pray God's Word. Throughout the study, Beth examines several benefits to knowing God. The focus this week is about "experiencing God's peace". As does scripture, Beth explains that God's peace is like a river: "Peace like a river flows from a continuous connection with the upland Source, Jesus Christ, and is a timely reminder that this life will ultimately spill out into a glorious eternal life." How does one experience this active peace as if surrounded by raging white water rapids? By abiding in Christ. John 15:4 says, "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me." One essential way to abide in Christ is by immersing ourselves in God's Word. Beth comments that "God inspired His Word with great care and immaculate precision." What a great reminder of the power of God's Word. I am so thankful that everything God has done, is doing, and will do is all done with TLC! So again, what is required to experience God's peace? As Beth states it, "Attention to God's commands by obedience through the power of the Holy Spirit. Obedience to God's authority brings not only peace like a river but also righteousness like the waves of the sea. Not righteous perfection. Righteous consistency." Beth does not go in depth in this study as she does in her others, but like the title states, she places her focus on teaching readers how to pray God's Word. I have enjoyed reading passages of scripture and writing a prayer to God from them - another way to abide in Christ and experience His perfect peace!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I've been working through this study too! I love it:) I haven't made it to this section yet, but I too have enjoyed learning how to pray God's word! Thanks for teaching me what God's been teaching you!