Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Melody of Memories: Departure

The girls had to go back home on January 14th. We probably looked like mean people not carrying the girls' luggage at first, but they were responsible for carrying it themselves on the way back home. We wanted to make sure they could manage their own belongings while still in our care when we could help or unload some items (which we did have to do with the little one's backpack). The girls made it back okay, so we are assuming all their luggage made it back with them. We certainly sent them back with more than they came with! Thank you to those who donated and supported us to make sure the girls were able to come to America and that they were well-taken care of.
We arrived early to the airport, so we just spent time together in the atrium. We played with some "Go Fish!" cards that had been given to the girls for the flight home. We also gave each girl a surprise: their own copy of A Melody of Memories. They loved it!
The girls told us they were not hungry (the oldest ate some fries at first, but that was all she wanted). Eric was hungry, though, so he went and purchased some soup and a sandwich. Guess who ate all of Eric's lunch . . . the girls! I had so much fun watching that! The girls always loved to try our food and make us try theirs. Eric used to do the same thing to his dad, so this was payback time . . . we had many payback times! :)
Not too long after the girls were finished with Eric's lunch, it was time to check in luggage. Twenty minutes later it was time to say good-bye! The girls held it together and were so strong. They did not cry at all. Eric and I held it together until the tickets were given to the girls and they had to leave with their group for security and then on to the terminal - that's when we lost it! I have not wept like that since leaving NC last April. Although we were sad, the Lord encouraged us throughout the day. God knew exactly what words we needed to hear that day! I am so thankful that God looks out for us. He knows our needs and meets them at His very perfect timing! Eric and I continue to miss the girls very much. We are still working at adjusting back to no children in the house . . . it is so weird . . . and so quiet! A prayer group at our church has really been a blessing to us. Even though the girls are back home now, the prayer group is praying for them and for us twice a day, everyday. Thank you, church, for praying! Thank you, friends and family, for your support! Thank You, Lord, for being our encouragement and for allowing us to host the girls and make a melody of memories!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I am so glad that you gave them copies of this book!!!! What a treasure to cherish. I know that you miss thm and that they miss you too!!!

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading this book as well!! it sounds like you guys had an awesome time!!! I know it was very hard when they had to leave!